- Reforestation of the area, previously cleared for farming, with native trees and medicinal plants, especially endangered species
- Establishment of an Orchidarium
- Establishment of a Palmetum
- Establishment of an organic farm
- Installation of walkways and trails
- Scientific research
- Arboriculture training
- Work with local children in environmental education
Scientific research is fundamental to the mission of Botanical Park Los Yapas in all aspects: conservation, organic farming, horticulture, and educational projects. The primary focus of the research is on restoring, identifying, documenting, understanding, and conserving the rich diversity of plants from the region. For this purpose living plants collection, reforestation and the establishment of a Herbarium are the basis to study systematics. These elements are a significant tool to measure the diversity and density of different animal species found on a restored rain forest.
Development of soil and ecosystems´ improvement, plants curing and protection are also some of the objectives of the scientific research. One of our goals is to establish a laboratory where we can produce our own natural and ecological friendly pesticides and other different products such as: soaps, detergents, syrups and beverages for the staff, visitors and business.
- Arboriculture is the essential activity at Botanical park Los Yapas. It consists of:
- preparing soil for planting seeds or saplings
- harvesting, collecting and preparing crops
- planting saplings, seeds and maintaining plants¬
- propagating plants
- pruning trees and shrubs
- identifying the presence of, and controlling, common pests and diseases
Visitors can learn about horticulture and arboriculture through training, demonstration and the provision of information.
Environmental education with children
As a botanical park the main aim is to promote conservation of nature as the basis for sustainable development. Environmental educational is a fundamental tool to reach this aim. We will thus intensively educate children to ensure the development of environmental awareness in the next generation. Since environmental education is a long term process we permanently receive children. They learn about the different species and their endangered status and how natural environments function through different games and lectures. They also learn how to plant, treat and take care of plants, as well as how to eat in a healthy way. Finally children are formed to make recycled paper, home-made organic fertilizer.
All of the current projects need the collaboration in knowledge, labor, and financing from people who are interested in nature conservation. This is an opportunity for you to show you can do something to help the planet by being part of the solution to global warming and loss of habitat. Your support will help us to grow and expand the ongoing projects.
We minimize environmental impacts by:
- saving water
- using septic tanks
- using only natural products and rain water for Organic farming
- using biodegradable products
- separating garbage
- saving energy by low energy light bulbs
- minimizing unnecessary night time lighting
- cooking mainly vegetarian food